Sunday, August 11, 2013

Introduction to Roto Vision - Study the Plate | Episode 007

Professional Roto Artists have a developed eye. They see the edges of a target, can match their roto edges to the target, and maintain a consistent shape and distance thru the frames of a shot. On my first feature film, FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS, my lead stressed the concept of "keeping the roto consistent". While I heard the words, I did not quite see what he meant. I was green and, to make matters worse, I was trying to hide it. And I didn't ask what he meant.
   As a result, my first couple of FLAGS shots had the same quality as this first roto shot - wobbly and swimming. My roto would drift 2-3 pixels away from the edges and I didn't even see it. My peers had to show me.  The reason was I did not have Roto Vision. I knew how to trace and animate splines. But because I didn't have the eye, I was not creating professional roto.
   Thankfully, the FLAGS roto team were very supportive of each other and the new guy. They were willing to review my work and give me guidance. And they never once said how much my roto sucked even when it probably did.


Roto Vision: Step 1 - STUDY THE PLATE


    The first step to develop Roto Vision is to study the plate. Play the shot back multiple times and ask these questions.

  1. Where are the target edges?
  2. Is the plate bright enough to see the edges?
  3. How are those edges changing, moving?
  4. On what frames are the edges changing?
  5. Where are the main key frames?

Write down what you see. We'll see if your Roto Vision catches the specific nuances of this plate in the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment